Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 38. Special Olympic Scarves

My home town hosted the world Special Olympics this year. Here locally, a small group of women decided that it would be a nice gesture to offer a hand knitted or crocheted scarf, in the theme colors of blue and white, to each of the athletes and coaches. So, they set out to collect 2500 scarves. The company Coats & Clark donated the yarn. Months later, they FAR surpassed that goal and collected, the last I heard, over 150,000 scarves, donated by people from all over the world.

We were in Costco last week, and volunteers were giving them away in return for a donation of any size, which would go to benefit the Special Olympics. So the kiddo and I each chose one. Since then, we've seen these scarves -- all handmade and unique -- everywhere! It's quite fun. You can read more about it here:

2 comments:

  1. My sister made some of those scarves. Glad to here they also used them to raise funds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 150,000??? That's a lot of scarves! I love that you're seeing them everywhere -- a neat connection to a great cause!

    ReplyDelete