Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 2. Family Night


So the kiddo has been asking me to teach her how to sew. Okay, that's a good idea. I haven't sewed in years, but I can rekindle my interest in sewing in order to teach her. I had something simple in mind for her first project, like a small 4-patch quilt, but she had other plans -- a dress for her American Girl doll. She knew that I recently found a some great (and free!) patterns for AG clothes online, which I'd downloaded and printed out. She picked out a dress and set her heart on making one, so here we are.
Fridays are family night for us, so last night we got started and cut all the pieces out. She picked out the white-with-black-polka-dots fabric herself, and reverse print black-with-white-polka-dots fabric for a coordinating shawl. Should be cute, if we can actually get it made.

6 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman to sew doll clothes. The seams are so tiny! Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I can't let my two see this! They'll be putting me on sewing duty ASAP! I already had to make one dress for Kit - we rigged it without a pattern - it's very "depression era" simple! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you two! I'm not going into sewing world with my kids, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the doll dressed in this pretty dress! How neat that the two of you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome!

    EmmaLi is dying to get me to show her how to sew. I wish I still had the "sewing machine" from when Adam and Kait were small it made straight lines of stamps on paper. She's only 4 but I see family nights of sewing in her future too!!!

    I hope you show us the finished product too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like such a perfect mother-daughter activity -- a memory she will treasure forever! (I haven't sewn since 7th grade, and I sooo want to re-learn.)

    ReplyDelete