Everything is ready for the red envelopes! The bookmarks are two-sided -- you can kinda see both sides in the picture. Because it's traditional in China to give gifts of oranges or tangerines with the stems attached, we've traditionally given out candy orange slices with a candy mint leaves. We made the candy bag toppers and bookmarks using the Chinese New Year kit by lliella available at Funky Playground.The book, Happy New Year, is the one I read to the class. It's a nice book for sharing CNY traditions, but afterwards I decided it wasn't such a good choice for a public school classroom because of all the references to gods and temples. I explained that it is folklore and not churches as we thing of them -- hopefully none of the kids went home and told their parents that I was talking to them about religion.
Wow, you made some nice stuff for Rebecca's class. All we did were bookmarks (and one-sided ones at that! :) )
ReplyDelete